From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] switch from gnome/systemd to xfce/openrc borked my system
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 06:29:41
1 Yesterday I tried to switch my ~amd64 box from Gnome/systemd to Xfce/openrc. I followed
2 the wiki [1], [2] to install Xfce from a Gnome terminal:
3
4 - switch profile from 17.1/desktop/gnome/systemd to 17.1/desktop
5 - emerge xfce4-meta and some xfce4 applications/panels/extras
6 - unmerged systemd and emerged OpenRC
7 - emerge -uDvN world to account for the different profile flags
8
9 During the emerge I had to hard reset the system [3] which obviously did not boot so I
10 found a PCLinuxOS live cd from 2014 and managed to chroot into the partially updated
11 system. I resumed the emerge successfully, unmerged gnome and dependencies (this almost
12 took more than building Xfce...), rebuilt the kernel with the init system set to OpenRC
13 (make && make install), update the grub menu to no longer pass to the the kernel the
14 systemd init.
15
16 Now both emerge -uDvN world and emerge --depclean show a clean system. But the system
17 won't boot...
18
19 I attach a picture of the last kernel messages. I am not familiar with init systems but it
20 seems to me that init has started but then hangs at some point. From the chroot I
21 re-checked the /etc/runlevels contents, all links seem fine except a couple of stale ones
22 which I removed (mpd, syklogd and few others from pre-Gnome days). /etc/inititab looks
23 fine also.
24
25 One thing I notice from the boot log is that the root FS requires recovery. My live CDs
26 did not let me because they are too old so I'll try to find a more up to date live CD.
27
28 Other ideas? Have I missed some obvious step in the process?
29
30 thanks,
31
32 raffaele
35 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xfce
36 [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xfce/Guide
37 [3] While emerge was ongoing I left the system alone for dinner time, when I got back gdm
38 had kicked in and did not let me log back in, neither through the GUI nor in a terminal
39 with CTRL-ALT-Fx. This is probably due to me having unmerged GDM before starting the
40 emerge to fix some dependency, thus a vivid example of PEBCAK

IMG_20190818_220947.jpg image/jpeg