From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:09:40
1 On Jan 13, 2008 11:26 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:15:38 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > 1) Boots new hardware well enough to do the install. The current
5 > > LiveCD doesn't boot a P5E motherboard so I couldn't do the install on
6 > > that machine using it.
7 >
8 > It booted on mine, I installed from a 2007.0 install disc.
9
10 I stand partially corrected. It does boot AND see the disk drives *if*
11 I make changes in BIOS to use AHCI instead of IDE emulation. Since
12 BIOS was not set that way by ASUS as default the CD does boot but
13 doesn't see the drives and cannot do the install.
14
15 Presumably some sort of driver could have been enabled on the CD that
16 would not have required this change to BIOS and IMO been more user
17 install friendly.
20 > > 2) Has networking turned on for whatever my NIC is and makes it easy
21 > > to start sshd.
22 >
23 > But it didn't do networking, so /i did a networkless install and updated
24 > the kernel to a later one that did support my NIC.
25
26 Precisely my point about the kernel and tarball on the CD. The most
27 user friendly, which then IMO shines the most favorable light on
28 Gentoo and it's install, is to have a very timely update to the
29 install CD that has every driver possible on it, be they stable or
30 testing, so that the machine can get to the network without having to
31 get drivers there on some other CD, etc. If that means that the
32 install CD kernel is updated weekly or even daily then so much the
33 better IMO for the install CD only.
34
35 I think you and I are really in violent agreement here Neil. It can be
36 done, and the easier it is done the better it makes Gentoo look.
37
38 Thanks for pointing out the mistake in my comment.
39
40 Cheer,
41 Mark
45 > --
46 > Neil Bothwick
47 >
48 > Windows '96 artificial intelligence: Unable to FORMAT A: Having a go at C:
51 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list