From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 15:15:33
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 8:50 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > I noticing that now. Once the install is done and you have the IP
5 > address, heck, you don't need a monitor for much of anything it
6 > appears. I even found a console so one can type in things to do.
7
8 Exactly. My TrueNAS machines haven't had a monitor attached
9 since they were built. Everything you need is there. It's more a
10 storage appliance than a computer.
11
12 > I
13 > wonder, could one install the LVM stuff and use that? That would be
14 > interesting. I wonder if there is a NAS software that uses LVM
15 > instead. Interesting thought. I just may go bug google on that one. o_O
16
17 Maybe I'm missing the point but why would you want LVM on a
18 storage pool? If I'm doing backups I just want space. I let TrueNas
19 put it on disk and give it back if asked. Why put another layer
20 of indirection?
21
22 If you're intending to use it as simple NAS - i.e. - the only copy
23 of some data on your network - then possibly LVM might
24 be interesting, but then you need a second TrueNAS box
25 to back that up. NAS as a mountable data location is
26 different than NAS doing backups which is what I thought
27 this thread was about. What am I not remembering?
28
29 - Mark