From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 03:50:10
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 04:43:25PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >>> 4) While I cannot tell you if the card you ordered has a Linux or FreeBSD
5 >>> driver, I can point out that on the left hand side of your TrueNAS
6 >>> dashboard, accessible in your browser hopefully, there is a pulldown
7 >>> called 'Network'. It should hopefully show you the current network
8 >>> interface which in my case is called 're0'. On the right you might,
9 >>> hopefully
10 >>> possibly see a big blue button called "ADD". Consider giving that button
11 >>> a push after you've installed your new card.
12 >> 4:  I have a monitor hooked up still so I can do it the text way if
13 >> needed.  It mentions about setting up the network as one of the
14 >> options.
15 >>
16 >> Since you mentioned it has a GUI option, I may just do that.
17 >> So long as it works.
18 > That’s what I referred to earlier: you get a web interface built-in that
19 > takes care of all the chores. I always wanted to set up shares on my NAS so
20 > that guests could easily access it anonymously, but safely (meaning: no
21 > write access). I never had the patience to go through the whole setup of ftp
22 > and/or samba with the proper users and directories. But a web UI could take
23 > care of all of that. Plus it’s shiny. :D
24 >
25 > My point is: there is no need for a monitor. ;-)
28 I noticing that now.  Once the install is done and you have the IP
29 address, heck, you don't need a monitor for much of anything it
30 appears.  I even found a console so one can type in things to do.  I
31 wonder, could one install the LVM stuff and use that?  That would be
32 interesting.  I wonder if there is a NAS software that uses LVM
33 instead.  Interesting thought.  I just may go bug google on that one.  o_O
34
35 The network card is getting closer.  May be here tomorrow.  Maybe.  One
36 can never really tell about these things.
37
38 Dale
39