From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why WordPress is masked?
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 21:41:05
1 On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:18:49 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 19/02/2014 16:54, Gevisz wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I was recently told that I will have to use WordPress to do some
7 > > translation job.
8 > >
9 > > After emerge --search wordpress, I have found that this package is
10 > > currently masked (at least for amd64 architecture). The same says
11 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/WordPress
14 > www-apps/wordpress is not hardmasked. It is marked ~arch, something
15 > entirely different. The correct description for this package is
16 > "keyworded unstable"
19 > > Earlier, in this mailing list, I was told that I can see the reasons
20 > > for masking a package in .../profile/package.mask file.
21 >
22 > That file does not document unstable keywords
25 > > However, looking into it, I have not found there the wordpress
26 > > package at all.
27 > >
28 > > Does anybody know, why wordpress package is currently masked and how
29 > > dangerous it is to unmask it as the wikipage above advises.
30 >
31 > packages are keyworded unstable because they are not yet ready for
32 > prime-time, or the maintainer hasn't gotten around to marking it
33 > stable yet, or no-one has submitted a stabilization request to b.g.o
34 > yet
35 >
36 > We don't know which of these apply
37 >
38 > Just add www-apps/wordpress to package.accept_keywords and emerge it.
39 > You will soon find out if it suits your needs and it won't eat your
40 > kittens.
43 > > Moreover, I am interested if there are any substitutions for the
44 > > wordpress package available in Gentoo.
45 >
46 > No, that does not make sense. The only thing that works like wordpress
47 > is wordpress. If you need to use wordpress then install wordpress.
48 >
49 > There exists other blogging software of course but they are not
50 > wordpress.
53 > > By a quick search, I have found vimpress plugin for vim.
54 > >
55 > > Does anybody know if it is a decent substitution for wordpress?
56 >
57 > I doubt it does what you apear to think it does. vimpress is a
58 > wordpress editing tool running in the vim editor. It connects to a
59 > wordpress blog and let's you do the edits in vim instead of some
60 > other editing tool. But you still need to have access to a wordpress
61 > blog for it to work
62
63 And to get access to the blog, I need WordPress, right?
64
65 > Are you certain you need to run the wordpress software locally?
66
67 No, I still have to ask...
68
69 > Will you not instead be editing a blog hosted elsewhere?
70
71 And if so, can I get with only vimpress instead?
72
73 Sorry, for may be stupid questions and thank you for answering.