From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flexibility and robustness in the Linux organisim
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 16:36:11
1 Am 01.10.2013 01:21, schrieb Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike):
2 > El 30/09/13 00:47, Volker Armin Hemmann escribió:
3 >> Am 29.09.2013 18:41, schrieb Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike):
4 >>> El 29/09/13 18:03, Volker Armin Hemmann escribió:
5 >>>> Am 29.09.2013 17:12, schrieb Greg Woodbury:
6 >>>>> On 09/29/2013 07:58 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>>> things were broken way before that. As much as I hate systemd, it is not
9 >>>>>> the root cause of the problem.
10 >>>>>>
11 >>>>>> The problems were caused by people saying that seperate /usr was a good
12 >>>>>> idea, so / would not fill up and similar idiocies. The problems were
13 >>>>>> caused by people saying that lvm is a good idea - for desktops. Those
14 >>>>>> people who are fighting against the kernel auto assembling raids are to
15 >>>>>> blame too.
16 >>>>>>
17 >>>>>> Systemd is just another point in a very long list.
18 >>>>>>
19 >>>>> The usr filesystem was separate from root from the very early days of
20 >>>>> UNIX. Disks were *tiny* (compared to today) and spreading certain
21 >>>>> things across separate spindles provided major benefits. Certainly,
22 >>>>> the original need to require a separate usr went away fairly quickly,
23 >>>>> but other benefits continued to encourage a seperation between root
24 >>>>> and usr.
25 >>>>>
26 >>>> in the very early days /usr did not exist in the first space and was
27 >>>> only created because someone added a harddisk.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
30 >>> I'm going to show the lack of sense of this argument:
31 >>> in the very early days linux did not exist in the first space and was
32 >>> only created because someone got a 386.
33 >>>
34 >>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
35 >> wrong analogy and it goes down from here. Really.
36 > Ohh, but they are inspired on YOUR analogy, so guess how wrong yours was.
37
38 your trolling is weak. And since I never saw anything worth reading
39 posted by you, you are very close to plonk territory right now.
40
41 >>> in the very early days GNU did not exist in the first space and was
42 >>> only created because someone jammed a printer.
43 >>>
44 >>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
45 >>>
46 >>> in the very early days Gentoo did not exist in the first space and was
47 >>> only created because someone added a processor.
48 >>>
49 >>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
50 >>>
51 >>> in the very early days hardening did not exist in the first space and was
52 >>> only created because someone added security.
53 >>>
54 >>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
55 >>>
56 >>> in the very early days Gnome did not exist in the first space and was
57 >>> only created because someone got a graphics card.
58 >>>
59 >>> Not really a good reason to keep it around.
60 >>>
61 >>> I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the pattern there.
62 >>>
63 >>> Ohh and BTW, /usr was not just added because someone added a harddrive,
64 >>> in most cases it was used to allow machines contain a very small system
65 >>> on / which was enough to just boot and mount a networked system (/usr)
66 >>> containing most of the software. This allowed for cheaper deployment of
67 >>> machines since the hard drive could be smaller as it wouldn't need to
68 >>> have all the data locally. Yeah, if this sounds familiar is because this
69 >>> was later moved to initramfs.
70 >> no, network'ed file systems came a lot later.
71 >> Initially /usr was added because one harddisk was full. Really, that is
72 >> the whole reason for its (broken) existance.
73 > Please provide some reference about "Initially /usr was added because
74 > one harddisk was full." without it your statement is moot to me.
75
76 see Mark David Dumlao's mails.
77
78 But it is interesting, that you are attacking others with your superior
79 knowledge - and then show that you lack exactly that. You are talking
80 about stuff you have no clue at all about.
83 > The setup of a separate /usr on a networked system was used in amongst
84 > other places a few swedish universities.
85
86 seperate /usr on network has been used in a lot of places. So what? Does
87 that prove anything?
88 Nope, it doesn't.
89
90 >>>>> The var filesystem was for variable system data, and was never
91 >>>>> terribly big and its inclusion on the root volume happened. The home
92 >>>>> filesystem became traditionally separate because data expands to fill
93 >>>>> all availab;e space, and users collect *things*
94 >>>> and a seperate /home does not create any problems.
95 >>>> /var is much more prone to accidentally fill up then /usr ever was.
96 >>> You are jst getting it wrong, /var was kept locally as the data there
97 >>> was supposed to change from machine to machine.
98 >> no, you just don't understand what I wrote.
99 >> People told other people to keep /usr seperate so / may not fill up by
100 >> accident.
101 >>
102 >> That advise always was murky at best. Outright stupid is a good
103 >> description too.
104 >>
105 >> /usr is not prone to much changes. So if your / fits the contents of
106 >> /usr just fine, there is pretty much no risk.
107 >> /var on the other hand tends to explode - but a lot of people never got
108 >> told to put /var on a seperate disk.
109 >>
110 >> If you ever realized that a tens of gigabyte logfile just made your box
111 >> unbootable, you learnt a lot that day.
112 > That's why you move /var/log, not /var
113
114 then /var/portage
115 /var/package
116 /var/tmp
117 /var/spool
118 or
119 /var/lib
120
121 explodes in size and takes out your box.
122
123 Seriously, /var is a good candidate for a seperate partition. /usr is not.
124
125 >>>>> Networking made it possible to have home entirely off system, and
126 >>>>> diskless worstations ruled for a while as well.
127 >>>>>
128 >>>>> By the time Linux came along, it had become common for boot volumes to
129 >>>>> not be mounted during normal system operation, but the three
130 >>>>> filesystem layout was common and workable. As Linux continued to be
131 >>>>> like Topsy (she jest growed!) fragmentation started to occur as
132 >>>>> "distributions" arose. The "balkanization" of Linux distributions
133 >>>>> became a real concern to some and standardization offorts were
134 >>>>> encouraged.
135 >>>>>
136 >>>>> The "File System Standard" (FSS) was renamed to the Filesystem
137 >>>>> Hierarch Standard (FHS) and it was strongly based on the UNIX System V
138 >>>>> definitions (which called for seperation of usr and root.) POSIX added
139 >>>>> more layers and attempted to bring in the various BSD flavors.
140 >>>>>
141 >>>>> THe LSB (Linux Standards Base) effort was conceived as supersceeding
142 >>>>> all the other efforts, and FHS was folded into the LSB definition. Yet
143 >>>>> even then a separate root and usr distinction survived. Then things
144 >>>>> started falling apart again - POSIX rose like a phoenix and even the
145 >>>>> Windows/wintel environment could claim POSIX compliant behavior. The
146 >>>>> fall of the LSB effort really became evident when the FHS was gutted
147 >>>>> and certain major players decided to ignore the LSB recommendations.
148 >>>> too bad POSIX is much older than LSB or FHS.
149 >>> Too bad separate /usr is much older than initramfs.
150 >> too bad that initramfs and initrd are pretty good solutions to the
151 >> problem of hidden breakage caused by seperate /usr.
152 >> If you are smart enough to setup an nfs server, I suppose you are smart
153 >> enough to run dracut/genkernel&co.
154 > If you are smart enough to run "dracut/genkernel&co" I suppose you are
155 > smart enough to see the wrongness of your initial statement "too bad
156 > POSIX is much older than LSB or FHS."
157
158 too bad I am right and you are and idiot.
159
160 Originally, the name "POSIX" referred to IEEE Std 1003.1-1988, released
161 in 1988. The family of POSIX standards is formally designated as IEEE
162 1003 and the international standard name is ISO/IEC 9945.
163 The standards, formerly known as IEEE-IX, emerged from a project that
164 began circa 1985. Richard Stallman suggested the name POSIX to the IEEE.
165 The committee found it more easily pronounceable and memorable, so it
166 adopted it
167
168 That is from wikipedia.
169
170 1985/1988. When were LSB/FHS created again?
171
172 FHS in 1994. Hm....
175 >>>>> As a result, the GNOME Alliance has shattered. The main GNOME army
176 >>>>> marches on its unfathomable path, and various large chunks have broke
177 >>>>> off in their own directions (e.g. Cinnamon and Mate) seeking to remain
178 >>>>> flexible and not incompatible with the KDE and other lesser DE folks.
179 >>>>>
180 >>>>> It is truly layable at the feet of the GNOME folks, the breakage of
181 >>>>> the root and usr filesystem separability is all derived from the GNOME
182 >>>>> camp.
183 >>>>> These changes may not, in fact, be deliberate or intended to "defeat"
184 >>>>> Microsoft, but Ockham's Razor cuts and intentionality is the simpler
185 >>>>> explanation.
186 >>>> that gnome is very hostile when it comes to KDE or choice is not news.
187 >>>> And their dependency on systemd is just the usual madness. But they are
188 >>>> not to blame for seperate /usr and the breakage it causes.
189 >>> True, fingers here should be pointed into another direction like systemd.
190 >> systemd is not the first package to break.
191 > udev is a part of systemd
192
193 so what?
194
195 >>>>> To come back to the thesis: robustness and flexibility are required
196 >>>>> for good "health" and we are witnessing a dangerous challenge.
197 >>>> what? that you need an initrd? That is so bad?
198 >>> It may be, there is people which may not have enough free space ob /boot
199 >>> for example.
200 >> and now we are deeply into kidding territory. How small is that boot? 3mb?
201 > Maybe, I know of Gentoo users running on really old Pentium IIs with
202 > SCSI disks, so it wouldn't come as a surprise.
203
204 I have really old scsi disks. 15k rpm U160/U320 ones. 37GB each. Way
205 then more enough room to store / with /usr in it. / in my system is a 64
206 gb disk.
207
208 Even P2 can stomach 80/120gb harddisks. You know the crap you get almost
209 for free on ebay.
210
211 And if you have a really small harddisk, seperating /boot is just stupid
212 anyway. So you have all of / to store your vmlinuz file and the
213 init'thingie'.
214
215 >>>> Are you kidding me?
216 >>> I doubt it, instead you seem to be just trolling, see your own arguments
217 >> well, I haven't seen any arguments from you so far. So who is the troll
218 >> again?
219 > You have kindly disregarded them... like trolls tend to do,
220
221 hm, lets see - I have facts on my side and you are insulting me. Who is
222 the troll again?
223
224 >>>>> [PS} If anybody cares, I was trained in both Computer Science and
225 >>>>> Biological Science. and I can expand on the parallels if so desired.
226 >>>>>
227 >>>> no thank you. But if I might add one: you are making an elephant out of
228 >>>> a gnat.
229 >>> To me it looks like youu are making a gnat out of an elephant.
230 >> what is the elephant? Running an extra command on kernel updates?
231 > Requiring users to repartition systems with the downtime that carries,
232 > for example.
233 You don't need to repartition your system AT ALL. All you have to do is
234 to create an init 'thingie'. Genkernel can do that for you. You are done.
235
236 Seriously, you just convinced me. You ARE a mouth breather.
237
238 And I am not answering to your crap anymore. It my be contagious.
239
240 *plonk*