From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT sort of] S-video support on NVidia-based cards
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:23:05
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > solution currently hooked to the big screen. ATI dripped support for
6 > the chipset in that box in the Linux driver and Gentoo decided not to
7 > support the old driver or the kernel required to run it so that
8 > machine hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
11 There are folks that pull support, via specific chipsets, forward
12 for such things as this. Are you suggesting that the folks at Gentoo
13 singularly decided not to pull this driver forward? The kernel
14 hackers (firmware folks focused on PC type hardware) usually
15 make these decisions. Gentoo folks, except for those involved
16 in firmware or low level drivers, usually have nothing to do
17 with drivers, based in the kernel space. Firmware folks often
18 backport drivers (same something for the 2.6.x to the 2.4.x)
19 to older kernels, or take sources from old kernels (say 2.4.x)
20 and port them to 2.6.x often in the embedded linux world. However
21 often these drives to not make it into the published kernels.
22
23 Also, drivers are "consolidated" all the time so that one "mega"
24 driver works with many devices. All of this I assume you know.
25 But video is a different horse. The video companies routinely
26 "age" or deprecated hardware and drivers so customers spend
27 new money. Not sure what the deal is in your case, I'm just
28 trying to help.
32 > I don't have any TVs with HDMI. We don't watch TV all that much. If
33 > we do it's NetFlix DVDs or NetFlix via the Roku box. Myth just records
34 > junk mostly and I need to display it on the TV which has an extra
35 > S-Video input that I currently use. My wife doesn't play games,
36 > doesn't need 3D or anything fancy.
39 Nice to know.
40
41 > I guess what I'm saying is who are **you** to decide what makes
42 > sense in my life or how I should spend my time and money?
43
44 I think you miss-read my intentions. I was not really insisting
45 on what you do, just trying to provide a workable path towards
46 resolution. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (trying to be
47 polite here) and assume you are frustrated, due to your driver
48 not being pulled forward in the new kernel stuff. Being nasty
49 only discourages folks from help you, imho. I did not see
50 anyone else bothering to help you, or discuss your options.
53 > If you're
54 > not interested in answering my question then why not simply stay
55 > silent instead of this? If you want to start a thread of your own
56 > about the merits of that card then feel free to do so and then you and
57 > others can go down that path.
58
59 Um, looking back at the email, you suggest you are spend new
60 money. You did not state that you hate ATI and only nvidia
61 solutions are viable. In fact you talk about Intel and ATI video
62 hardware. Nvidia, imho, is the most aggressive
63 company at deprecating old hardware. I know I have several
64 Nvidia cards sitting on the shelf, but, all of my ATI cards
65 are mostly usable... (note ymmv).
69 > I'll consider ATI again when 100 people on this list say it's the
70 > best thing since sliced bread and they'd never buy another N-Video
71 > card. Until then goodbye to ATI if possible.
74 got it
75
76 good luck
79 (pisst) if you look for somebody to pull the driver forward for you,
80 try to be nice to them....... Problem is Nvidia rarely makes the
81 chipset data available. ATI is much more copasetic with information,
82 imho. Of the dozens of embedded video drivers I have been
83 involved with, Nvidia is the one that always fails to provide
84 information necessary for small manufactures to use. ATI is
85 more forthcoming on critical data. There are many open source
86 efforts on ATI video cards and some on Intel too. I have not
87 really found any viable open source Nvidia driver projects....
90 James