From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT sort of] S-video support on NVidia-based cards
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:47:22
1 On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:31 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >>    Anyway, one feature I'd like to investigate with this card is
6 >> MythTV over s-Video. I already use this on another old machine which
7 >> is ATI-based but that ATI driver requires an old kernel so the machine
8 >> hasn't been completely updated in a couple of years now. If I can get
9 >> Myth out on the S-video port of this new card then possibly I can use
10 >> that machine for something else which would be cool.
11 >
12 > Some of the newer ATI cards surely support this?
13 > I have not ever muck around with S_video,  but,
14 > it's just another well define interface (port),
15 > I would think.
18 >>    Anyway, in the $40
21 > Ohhhh Nooooo! Stop the buss!
22 >
23 > If you are spending new dollars, I'd highly recommend
24 > this ATI card, The 4350!
27 Hi,
28 I don't want to mess with ATI and ATI drivers any more. Had too
29 much trouble with them in the past. Yes, they work. I have one in my
30 AMD64 Gentoo machine, but would rather use N-videa at this point.
31
32 The application under discussion - my wife's Gentoo-only desktop
33 watching MythTV - is the only thing that matters. New Gentoo updates
34 and apparently errors in the Intel drivers upstream - not caused by
35 Gentoo as best I can tell - have made my life a living hell around
36 here. If I could spend $5 and make the problem go away I would. The
37 S-Video isn't terribly important. The potential use is actually in
38 another machine where I'd like my Myth backend server to become a
39 sometimes frontend so that I could get away from the Asus/ATI/S-Video
40 solution currently hooked to the big screen. ATI dripped support for
41 the chipset in that box in the Linux driver and Gentoo decided not to
42 support the old driver or the kernel required to run it so that
43 machine hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
44
45 I don't have any TVs with HDMI. We don't watch TV all that much. If
46 we do it's NetFlix DVDs or NetFlix via the Roku box. Myth just records
47 junk mostly and I need to display it on the TV which has an extra
48 S-Video input that I currently use. My wife doesn't play games,
49 doesn't need 3D or anything fancy.
50
51 I guess what I'm saying is who are **you** to decide what makes
52 sense in my life or how I should spend my time and money? If you're
53 not interested in answering my question then why not simply stay
54 silent instead of this? If you want to start a thread of your own
55 about the merits of that card then feel free to do so and then you and
56 others can go down that path.
57
58 I'll consider ATI again when 100 people on this list say it's the
59 best thing since sliced bread and they'd never buy another N-Video
60 card. Until then goodbye to ATI if possible.
61
62 - Mark