From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT sort of] S-video support on NVidia-based cards
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:32:38
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Anyway, one feature I'd like to investigate with this card is
5 > MythTV over s-Video. I already use this on another old machine which
6 > is ATI-based but that ATI driver requires an old kernel so the machine
7 > hasn't been completely updated in a couple of years now. If I can get
8 > Myth out on the S-video port of this new card then possibly I can use
9 > that machine for something else which would be cool.
10
11 Some of the newer ATI cards surely support this?
12 I have not ever muck around with S_video, but,
13 it's just another well define interface (port),
14 I would think.
17 > Anyway, in the $40
20 Ohhhh Nooooo! Stop the buss!
21
22 If you are spending new dollars, I'd highly recommend
23 this ATI card, The 4350!
24
25 ASUS EAH4350 SILENT, no fan just passively cooled.
26 It uses the latest (smallest transistor) technology
27 to build a very reasonable performing graphics card
28 with little heat and no noise. A Silent video card
29 has to be attractive for any audiophile?
30
31 It even comes with an HDMI output. I have not gotten
32 into the interfaces (splitting) the video and audio
33 feeds, yet, but it looks encouraging. It was $29
34 dollars, but, make sure it's fits into your
35 video slot on your mobo.
38 What I guess I'm really trying to say is, if you are
39 spending new money, get a video card that uses
40 the latest GPS technologies and has the outputs
41 you want. Do try to avoid video cards with HDCP
42 built in...
43
44 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection
45
46 Although it's only a matter of time
47 before HDCP is reverse engineered and
48 work_arounds developed, methinks...
52 hth,
53
54 James