From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT sort of] S-video support on NVidia-based cards
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 23:46:33
1 Hi,
2 This is sort of off-topic except it isn't if recent xorg-server
3 updates hadn't totally killed video operation on one of my Intel
4 GPU-based machines. I've not been able to fix it after two weeks and
5 cannot spend more time so I'm investigating spending $40 to buy some
6 cheap video card to just move on.
7
8 Anyway, one feature I'd like to investigate with this card is
9 MythTV over s-Video. I already use this on another old machine which
10 is ATI-based but that ATI driver requires an old kernel so the machine
11 hasn't been completely updated in a couple of years now. If I can get
12 Myth out on the S-video port of this new card then possibly I can use
13 that machine for something else which would be cool.
14
15 Anyway, in the $40 range NewEgg has some GForce 6200 cards that
16 look reasonable to me but I don't know how to determine if S-video
17 output is supported on these cards under Linux. Any problems?
18
19 If it matters there are some FX 5200 cards but they seem slower,
20 older specs, so I'm hoping the 6200 series is a reasonable solution.
21
22 Here's a link to the sort fo card I'm looking at:
23
24 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130465
25
26 Thanks,