From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 12:35:18
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Am 16.05.2014 14:03, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
5 > On Fri, 16 May 2014 07:14:27 -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
6 >
7 >> So far, I have liked lvm, what's the advantage of btrfs over
8 >> lvm?
9 >
10 > I have only looked at btrfs, with a consideration for switching
11 > from ZFS, but it seems to offer the same advantages as ZFS. That
12 > is, it makes things even easier than LVM does. with LVM you can
13 > easily resize volumes and the filesystems on them, but it is still
14 > two or three steps, more if you add RAID into the equation. The
15 > modern filesystems do it all at once. If you need a bigger var, you
16 > just tell it so. And it is exactly the same process for shrinking a
17 > volume, something that can be tricky with LVM because of the need
18 > to handle volume and filesystem separately.
19
20 btrfs and zfs are removing the various layers we all had to deal with:
21
22 partitions, logical volumes, raid-arrays, filesystems, and then
23 snapshots etc.
24
25 With these modern filesystems you are able to basically say:
26
27 "I have these physical devices/disks, create me a pool of storage with
28 these properties" and then just use that pool in a flexible and
29 dynamic way.
30
31 Your disk based storage is then usable in a way RAM is, you add it and
32 it is available and you can then use it where you like it.
33
34 No (or let's say "much less" ...) fixed and hard barriers like
35 partition sizes, if you need space for /var, use it ... if you want to
36 set quotas on /home, just set them for the subvolume, if you add
37 another pair of harddisks, tell btrfs to redistribute redundancy
38 information ("re-balance").
39
40 (I see that Alan right now answered basically the same ;-) ).
41
42 You get checksums for your blocks and the possibility to repair rotted
43 blocks ... you get snapshots within the filesystem, no more slow
44 rsnapshot-crontabs ...
45
46 I used zfs-fuse back then and learned about the concepts, and it blew
47 my mind already years ago ;-)
48
49 zfs on linux ... it works fine for me on one server, but I never
50 really wanted it on my main machines (desktop and laptops) although I
51 once even wrote some "how to use zfs on your fully encrypted laptop"
52 for a magazine. It always feels like "suboptimal because it is not in
53 the kernel" to me (think licensing issues here).
54
55 btrfs is officially in the kernel, still marked "experimental" because
56 it is in active development, after all I read over the last days it
57 should be quite stable to use if you don't run very complex setups or
58 so ... and doing regular backups should be usual for the people in
59 this list, I assume? Distros like SLES come with btrfs as default fs
60 (soon).
61
62 I migrated ~3 machines to btrfs in the last days and I really love
63 getting rid of all the partitions and raids that grew over the years
64 ... for now it is cleaned up and flexible and so far solid.
65
66 btrfs and zfs have different concepts for various aspects, but
67 basically the same goals. I definitely recommend to get in touch with
68 this generation of filesystems.
71 Stefan
72