From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:08:55
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >>>
6 >>> I noticed eudev has hit the tree. Has anyone used it yet? If so, any
7 >>> issues? Did you just uninstall udev and install eudev in one step or
8 >>> some other way?
9 >>>
10 >>> I'm thinking of switching and getting rid of the init thingy but curious
11 >>> as to what others may have ran into.
12 >>>
13 >>> Thanks much.
14 >>>
15 >>> Dale
16 >>
17 >> Even if someone has, and clearly _someone_ out there has or it likely
18 >> wouldn't even be visible yet, but even if 10 or 20 people have, and
19 >> even if all of their results are fine because they are high skill set
20 >> folks, why would that change how you are running your machines?
21 >>
22 >> I suspect this is about your (and my) dislike for dealing with initrd
23 >> on a box at home. Gentoo doesn't make it at all easy so we're in that
24 >> together. However so what if someone has used it? Let it get used for
25 >> 6 months. Let it go stable. Why bother with a piece of software that
26 >> won't really improve your life now that you do have your 'init
27 >> thingy'?
28 >>
29 >> Just my view,
30 >> Mark
31
32 > Well, it appears that one version is stable:
33 >
34 > root@fireball / # equery list -p eudev
35 > * Searching for eudev ...
36 > [-P-] [ ] sys-fs/eudev-0:0
37 > [-P-] [ ~] sys-fs/eudev-1_beta1-r1:0
38 > [-P-] [ -] sys-fs/eudev-9999:0
39 > root@fireball / #
40 >
41 > The first one is not keyworded or masked.
42 >
43 > You are right, I don't like the init fix because when I used Mandrake,
44 > it caused me all sorts of problems. That and the upgrade process for
45 > Mandrake is the reason I switched to Gentoo. If eudev is ready, then so
46 > am I.
47 >
48 > Dale
49
50 Well, OK, so if you want to call version 0.0 stable then I guess that
51 meets the rules of portage anyway. However version '0.0' doesn't sound
52 like anything that's seen the light of day, been used by lots of
53 people and proven robust and stable. At least to me it sounds like a
54 place holder...
55
56 This is just my view, but it goes something like this:
57
58 1) Unless someone tells me why a really new package helps me then I go
59 slow, most especially if it could have a large impact like a new
60 version of udev might.
61
62 2) Somewhere in the install guide, or elsewhere, I don't remember, it
63 says something like 'don't expect ~packages to work correctly. We do
64 what we can to check them but you should expect things to break'. And
65 then most importantly, again from memory and paraphrased 'If you don't
66 know how to fix things when they do break don't use ~packages'. I let
67 these few sentences guide a lot of my Gentoo maintenance here at home.
68 I mask packages (good info from Bruce about which to mask) and wait
69 for the heavy lifters to shake things out a bit before I update things
70 that might take more than 5 minutes to fix.
71
72 Again, all my systems are stable with ~amd64 only when required to get
73 an app, but that's just me.
74
75 Good luck with whatever path you take.
76
77 Cheers,
78 Mark