From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:49:38
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I noticed eudev has hit the tree. Has anyone used it yet? If so, any
6 >> issues? Did you just uninstall udev and install eudev in one step or
7 >> some other way?
8 >>
9 >> I'm thinking of switching and getting rid of the init thingy but curious
10 >> as to what others may have ran into.
11 >>
12 >> Thanks much.
13 >>
14 >> Dale
15 >
16 > Even if someone has, and clearly _someone_ out there has or it likely
17 > wouldn't even be visible yet, but even if 10 or 20 people have, and
18 > even if all of their results are fine because they are high skill set
19 > folks, why would that change how you are running your machines?
20 >
21 > I suspect this is about your (and my) dislike for dealing with initrd
22 > on a box at home. Gentoo doesn't make it at all easy so we're in that
23 > together. However so what if someone has used it? Let it get used for
24 > 6 months. Let it go stable. Why bother with a piece of software that
25 > won't really improve your life now that you do have your 'init
26 > thingy'?
27 >
28 > Just my view,
29 > Mark
34 Well, it appears that one version is stable:
35
36 root@fireball / # equery list -p eudev
37 * Searching for eudev ...
38 [-P-] [ ] sys-fs/eudev-0:0
39 [-P-] [ ~] sys-fs/eudev-1_beta1-r1:0
40 [-P-] [ -] sys-fs/eudev-9999:0
41 root@fireball / #
42
43 The first one is not keyworded or masked.
44
45 You are right, I don't like the init fix because when I used Mandrake,
46 it caused me all sorts of problems. That and the upgrade process for
47 Mandrake is the reason I switched to Gentoo. If eudev is ready, then so
48 am I.
49
50 Dale
51
55 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!