From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new notebook
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:11:59
1 On 19 July 2011, at 21:47, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Screens; a choice between
4 > 1920x1080 WLED
5 > 1920x1080 RGBLED IPS
6 >
7 > The IPS screen only comes with an NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB GDDR3,
8 > The regular screen comes with these choices of video card:
9 >
10 > AMD FirePro M5950 Mobility Pro with 1GB GDDR5 dedicated memory
11 > NVIDIA Quadro 1000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory
12 > NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory
13 >
14 > The price difference is substantial. Considering that my usage is
15 > nothing more stressful than KDE eye-candy and mplayer, is the IPS
16 > screen worth the extra price?
17
18 I *believe* that the difference between IPS screen and the other may manifest itself in things like viewing angle, accuracy or consistency of colour reproduction (for photographers / graphics designers) and clarity of viewing in daylight.
19
20 This thread is 5 years old, so there may well have been developments since:
21 http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/44510-what-ips-screen.html
22
23 This may not matter at all to you, and maybe you're just asking about the GPU, but I thought I'd address the question you actually posed. ;)
24
25 Stroller.