From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] new notebook
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:49:41
1 Notebook renewal time has rolled around again, I've had the old one
2 for 3 years now. Amazing how much can change in 3 years. I don't do
3 notebook support so my knowledge is always out of date...
4
5 I'm tending towards a Dell Precision M4600 partly because I've had 4
6 Dells in a row all troublefree but mostly because the company discount
7 is a big number that can only be properly described as "obscenely big"
8
9 I'd like to get some input from folks who might have used this
10 hardware.
11
12 Screens; a choice between
13 1920x1080 WLED
14 1920x1080 RGBLED IPS
15
16 The IPS screen only comes with an NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB GDDR3,
17 The regular screen comes with these choices of video card:
18
19 AMD FirePro M5950 Mobility Pro with 1GB GDDR5 dedicated memory
20 NVIDIA Quadro 1000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory
21 NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory
22
23 The price difference is substantial. Considering that my usage is
24 nothing more stressful than KDE eye-candy and mplayer, is the IPS
25 screen worth the extra price? OTOH the machine has VGA, HDMI and
26 DisplayPort as well as internal screen and I believe the ATI can drive
27 all 4 at the same time whereas the nVidia is "pick any two". Up to 4
28 screens might be more useful than outright performance.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com