From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new notebook
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 06:30:38
1 On Tuesday 19 Jul 2011 21:47:38 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Notebook renewal time has rolled around again, I've had the old one
3 > for 3 years now. Amazing how much can change in 3 years. I don't do
4 > notebook support so my knowledge is always out of date...
5 >
6 > I'm tending towards a Dell Precision M4600 partly because I've had 4
7 > Dells in a row all troublefree but mostly because the company discount
8 > is a big number that can only be properly described as "obscenely big"
9 >
10 > I'd like to get some input from folks who might have used this
11 > hardware.
12 >
13 > Screens; a choice between
14 > 1920x1080 WLED
15 > 1920x1080 RGBLED IPS
16 >
17 > The IPS screen only comes with an NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB GDDR3,
18 > The regular screen comes with these choices of video card:
19 >
20 > AMD FirePro M5950 Mobility Pro with 1GB GDDR5 dedicated memory
21 > NVIDIA Quadro 1000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory
22 > NVIDIA Quadro 2000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory
23 >
24 > The price difference is substantial. Considering that my usage is
25 > nothing more stressful than KDE eye-candy and mplayer, is the IPS
26 > screen worth the extra price? OTOH the machine has VGA, HDMI and
27 > DisplayPort as well as internal screen and I believe the ATI can drive
28 > all 4 at the same time whereas the nVidia is "pick any two". Up to 4
29 > screens might be more useful than outright performance.
30
31 I don't think it is. When I bought my XPS (a year and a half ago) the RGBLED
32 screen was c. £150 on top of what was a rather expensive machine by my
33 affordability standards.
34
35 Perhaps it was an early version back then, but although it was claimed by
36 those who bought it that the RGBLED has somewhat superior picture quality, it
37 also had 2 more drawbacks besides the price:
38
39 1. You need to calibrate the monitor to get best picture and may need to
40 repeat that every now and then.
41 2. It will suck your battery dry (much?) faster than the WLED.
42
43 If you're always on mains then the latter may be less of a problem.
44
45 A word of warning: the 1920x1080 resolution on a 16" monitor is *small*.
46 Trying to read a typical website or even the content of my desktop menu would
47 cause eye strain! Ha! Fantastic picture if you just want to watch videos in
48 full 1080p HD, but if you are also thinking of productivity you may need to
49 readjust your desktop settings to make reading comfortable. On e17 I had to
50 change the Scaling setting to 80 DPI.
51
52 A final note about Dell's build quality: This is meant to be a top of the
53 range laptop. However, there are no substantial rubber stops to keep the
54 screen surface away from the keyboard. Even with 3 additional self-adhesive
55 rubber stops that I added, the keyboard is still touching and scratching the
56 screen. For the sort of money I paid to buy it I would expect some more
57 thought to have gone into the design and build of it. I guess all laptops
58 these days are being churned out of some Chinese sweat shop, but for the money
59 I expect a better product.
60 --
61 Regards,
62 Mick