From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 14:36:30
1 On 2012-01-21, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 2012-01-19, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>>> Do you really want that much broadcast and wide multicast (think
7 >>>>> DNS-SD and NTP in multicast mode) traffic on the same Ethernet
8 >>>>> segment?
9 >>>>
10 >>>> That bit I don't understand. ??It's no worse that ARP, and we seem to
11 >>>> live with that quite easily.
12 >>>
13 >>> Not just arp, but actual broadcast/multicast data. If you've ever run
14 >>> PulseAudio and enabled network sources and sinks on a couple boxes,
15 >>> you might have accidentally discovered an easy way to bring a wireless
16 >>> network to its knees. And that's just something I've had personal
17 >>> experience with. Come to think of it, that's a good reason I should
18 >>> continue to keep my home wired and wireless networks on separate
19 >>> subnets, and not simply bridged as I'd done at the time.
20 >>
21 >> I don't understand what that has to do with L-L address support in
22 >> applications.
23 >
24 > The "Do you really want that much broadcast and wide multicast traffic
25 > on the same Ethernet segment" was in the context of having a large
26 > network not divided up into separate subnets,
27
28 Ah, I see.
29
30 > Thinking about it, in your device's case, I suspect you won't want
31 > link-local scope to be your only IPv6 address;
32
33 You're right. We don't plan on supporting only link-local IPv6
34 addressing. But, I wanted to get all the basic features from the
35 IPv4-only version working and tested before I started worrying about
36 DHCPv6, router advertisements, or adding support for a user-configured
37 static IPv6 address. I was surprised how difficult it was to use
38 link-local addresses on the development host (Gentoo) side of things.
39 After banging my head against the wall trying to use link-local
40 addresses, I've now added the capability to configure a static IPv6
41 address (and I set up a ULA subnet for my testing).
42
43 Now, I can use Firefox instead of curl, and I can assign the device a
44 hostname via Gentoo's /etc/hosts file.
45
46 > Something you might think about: Register a ULA subnet, and configure
47 > your devices to use it. That would allow the network operators at
48 > destination sites to include network routing as a means to
49 > restrict/allow access to it. You'll also want to allow configuration
50 > of global-scope addresses via RAs and DHCPv6. (Though
51 > enabling/disabling that on initial device setup will be interesting;
52 > Having a ULA address preconfigured when you ship would be much like
53 > one's SOHO router being preconfigured with '192.168.0.220" on its
54 > internal interface.
55
56 That's basically how the existing device works with IPv4 it comes with
57 a pre-configured static address -- however, there are Windows and
58 Linux management apps (that don't use IP) that the customer can use to
59 change that static IP address (the most common use-case) or to using
60 DHCP (very rare). I assume we'll update the management apps to handle
61 configuration of IPv6 as well.
62
63 > You could use LL addresses to bootstrap, too, but you come back to
64 > the browser support issue you've run into.)
65
66 Exactly.
69 Grant