From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:19:32
1 On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2012-01-21, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Thinking about it, in your device's case, I suspect you won't want
5 >> link-local scope to be your only IPv6 address;
6 >
7 > You're right.  We don't plan on supporting only link-local IPv6
8 > addressing. But, I wanted to get all the basic features from the
9 > IPv4-only version working and tested before I started worrying about
10 > DHCPv6, router advertisements, or adding support for a user-configured
11 > static IPv6 address.  I was surprised how difficult it was to use
12 > link-local addresses on the development host (Gentoo) side of things.
13 > After banging my head against the wall trying to use link-local
14 > addresses, I've now added the capability to configure a static IPv6
15 > address (and I set up a ULA subnet for my testing).
16 >
17 > Now, I can use Firefox instead of curl, and I can assign the device a
18 > hostname via Gentoo's /etc/hosts file.
19
20 Cool.
21
22 >> Something you might think about: Register a ULA subnet, and configure
23 >> your devices to use it. That would allow the network operators at
24 >> destination sites to include network routing as a means to
25 >> restrict/allow access to it. You'll also want to allow configuration
26 >> of global-scope addresses via RAs and DHCPv6. (Though
27 >> enabling/disabling that on initial device setup will be interesting;
28 >> Having a ULA address preconfigured when you ship would be much like
29 >> one's SOHO router being preconfigured with '192.168.0.220" on its
30 >> internal interface.
31 >
32 > That's basically how the existing device works with IPv4 it comes with
33 > a pre-configured static address -- however, there are Windows and
34 > Linux management apps (that don't use IP) that the customer can use to
35 > change that static IP address (the most common use-case) or to using
36 > DHCP (very rare). I assume we'll update the management apps to handle
37 > configuration of IPv6 as well.
38
39 Here's an elucidation of what I was thinking. I'll assume the company
40 building the product builds many embedded systems. I was thinking you
41 could use an assumed ULA prefix as associated with all of these
42 products, e.g. fd62:f67b:fcb9::/48.[1] You've then got 32 bits of
43 address space for product organization and categorization before you
44 come down to a /64, whereupon each device in the line gets its own
45 unique address derived from its MAC. You could then either have the
46 device broadcast an RA for that /64 or manually configure another host
47 to use that /64 to access that device's initial configuration
48 interface.
49
50 Anyway, that's what I was thinking there. Just food for thought. :)
51
52 [1] I used an Android app which implements RFC4193 to generate this
53 prefix; you'd obviously want to come up with your own prefix.
56 :wq