From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:24:20
1 On 2012-01-22, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Here's an elucidation of what I was thinking. I'll assume the company
4 > building the product builds many embedded systems. I was thinking you
5 > could use an assumed ULA prefix as associated with all of these
6 > products, e.g. fd62:f67b:fcb9::/48.[1] You've then got 32 bits of
7 > address space for product organization and categorization before you
8 > come down to a /64, whereupon each device in the line gets its own
9 > unique address derived from its MAC. You could then either have the
10 > device broadcast an RA for that /64 or manually configure another host
11 > to use that /64 to access that device's initial configuration
12 > interface.
13 >
14 > Anyway, that's what I was thinking there. Just food for thought. :)
15
16 That certainly sounds like a good place to start.
17
18 > [1] I used an Android app which implements RFC4193 to generate this
19 > prefix; you'd obviously want to come up with your own prefix.
20
21 Right. Thanks.
24 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! for ARTIFICIAL
25 at FLAVORING!!
26 gmail.com