From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 12:46:06
1 On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 00:49:21 +0100
2 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Friday 16 September 2011 23:13:27 Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >
6 > > A word of advice when starting from scratch, give your VG(s) unique
7 > > names. I've seen what happens when someone takes a drive from
8 > > one Fedora system and puts it in another, so there are two VGs
9 > > called vg01. It ain't nice (only one is seen, usually not the one
10 > > you want).
11 >
12 > That would be nasty, yes, but here at home I don't expect to be
13 > switching disks around between machines.
14 >
15 > I did give a bit of thought to a VG naming scheme, but although
16 > several ideas came up, nothing was clearly the best so I left them at
17 > vg1 and vg2.
20 This is what GUIDs are for.
21
22 They are not the best thing to work with admittedly, but they are
23 guaranteed to be unique for all reasonable human needs. In a world
24 when we plug things out of anything and plug them back into anything,
25 a guaranteed unique ID is a necessaity.
30 Alan McKinnnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com