From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Qemu tun/tap privledge problem: HOWTO is wrong?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:22:59
1 I've followed the HOWTO at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO:_Qemu,
2 but the section on TUN/TAP networking appears to be wrong where
3 it says
4
5 I would recommend that you create the tap device with
6 ownership to the user running qemu as follows
7
8 tunctl -u <user> -t tap0
9
10 This prevents having to run qemu as root in >=2.6.18
11
12 Even though I created tap0 with the command shown, I still have
13 to run Qemu as root or I get the following error:
14
15 qemu -kernel-kqemu -localtime -hda w2kdisk.img -net nic
16 -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=/usr/local/etc/qemu-ifup
17
18 warning: could not open /dev/net/tun: no virtual network emulation
19 Could not initialize device 'tap'
20
21 If I run qemu as root, it works fine.
24 Grant Edwards grante Yow! My mind is a potato
25 at field ...
26 visi.com
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list