From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problem getting UTF-8 locale
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:16:01
1 On 10/12/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk > wrote:
4 > > However, the problem isn't emelFM2 specific. It is more linked to GTK+2
5 > > applications. For example, Qalculate! isn't able to display the pi sign
6 > > (the unicode pi sign). Or Xfce cannot display corefonts (Arial, Tahoma,
7 > > Verdana). Instead of displaying a unicode character (my guess), it
8 > displays
9 > > an incomprehensible series of numbers.
10 > >
11 > > My guess is that it has to be somehow linked to locale, but I cannot see
12 > > how. I have a fresh 2006.1 Gentoo installation, with a customised kernel
13 > > having nls_utf8 built-in. The only crucial change that I made was
14 > upgrading
15 > > Xorg to 7.1. I generally build all my applications with +nls flag.
16 >
17 > Only suggestion I can think of is to follow this:
18 >
19 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
20
21 Finally, I found the problem. It wasn't linked to the locale. As you said,
22 it was correctly
23 set. The problem with emelFM2 was that it was expecting LC_MESSAGES to
24 be explicitely set. This
25
26 is easily configurable.
27
28 However, I have a problem with the rendering of certain fonts. I'll start a
29 new thread for this (problem rendering unicode characters).
30
31 Thanks for the help.
37 Liviu