From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problem getting UTF-8 locale
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:27:12
1 On Monday 09 October 2006 15:03, Liviu Andronic wrote:
2 {SNIP]
3 > Are you saying that it lacks a maintainer for keeping emelFM2 up-to-date in
4 > portage?
5
6 Yes.
7
8 [SNIP]
9 > Is there any way to ask portage devels to update regularly
10 > emelFM2 ebuilds? (As it can be seen in [1], there are people providing
11 > ebuilds for each emelFM2 release; couldn't they help maintaining emelFM2 in
12 > portage?).
13 [SNIP]
14
15 If one of them is willing to be a maintainer and he can find a dev who is
16 willing to become proxy him, yes. Apparently noone did so far though.
17
18 > > The latest ebuild is on bug #90476 [1]. Unlike the latest ebuild in
19 > > portage that actually has a unicode use flag. Did you use that one [2]?
20 >
21 > I'm novice enough to Gentoo to not yet master emerging from custom ebuilds.
22 > So I build it from source (make && make install). I used version 0.2.
23
24 You just fetch the ebuild and the two patches it requires from the bug and
25 place them in your local overlay. This should help you figure out how:
26
27 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds
28
29 > However, the problem isn't emelFM2 specific. It is more linked to GTK+2
30 > applications. For example, Qalculate! isn't able to display the pi sign
31 > (the unicode pi sign). Or Xfce cannot display corefonts (Arial, Tahoma,
32 > Verdana). Instead of displaying a unicode character (my guess), it displays
33 > an incomprehensible series of numbers.
34 >
35 > My guess is that it has to be somehow linked to locale, but I cannot see
36 > how. I have a fresh 2006.1 Gentoo installation, with a customised kernel
37 > having nls_utf8 built-in. The only crucial change that I made was upgrading
38 > Xorg to 7.1. I generally build all my applications with +nls flag.
39
40 Only suggestion I can think of is to follow this:
41
42 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
45 Bo Andresen