From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc fails and then succeeds - definitely a problem?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:49:51
1 On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> The gcc update just failed to compile on one of my systems with a
5 >>> segfault, but then succeeded after trying again even though I didn't
6 >>> change anything.  Does that indicate a hardware problem for sure?
7 >>> Should I run memtester?  Any other tests to run?  Nothing in dmesg.
8 >>>
9 >>> - Grant
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> Might be.....might be nothing. Maybe a stray neutrino hit your
13 >> processor at just the wrong instant. ;-)
14 >>
15 >> More likely i my mind is some little corner condition in the software
16 >> running on your system. I've had the same thing happen many times
17 >> actually, and actually a few more times since I started playing with
18 >> your /etc/make.conf -j/-l values which push the system a little
19 >> harder.
20 >
21 > Whenever I get build failures with the load-adaptive MAKEOPTS and
22 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, I check the build log to see if it's relatively
23 > obvious that something was depended upon before it was built. If so, I
24 > file a bug.
25 >
26 > Happens every month or so, for me.
29 There are log files? You're telling me I should read them? Gawd,
30 pretty soon you're gonna try to make a real admin of me instead of
31 just the oblivious happy home user that I am... ;-)
32
33 Good inputs. Thanks!
34
35 Cheers,