From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] XMMS: Bye, Bye Gentoo
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:35:44
1 On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 03:34:56 -0500, Mike Huber wrote:
2
3 > There are plenty of packages within portage which have no longer been
4 > maintained for just as long as xmms (see cgoban for an example). It
5 > seems that this is a rather silly choice of packages to single out. It
6 > seems to me that xmms can live a perfectly natural life within portage
7 > so long as it is no longer included by default with the Xorg package.
8 > Granted, I have absolutely zero sway with anyone who matters within the
9 > gentoo community, but personally I would prefer to see it remain.
10
11 It is in one of the layman overlays. This seems to be the best place for
12 "retired" packages.
13
14 The difference with cgoban is that there are no outstanding bugs for it
15 in Bugzilla; age is not a problem, brokenness is.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.