From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 02:03:31
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 2:04 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Part. # Size Partition Type Partition Name
5 >> ----------------------------------------------------------------
6 >> 1007.0 KiB free space
7 >> 1 9.1 TiB Linux filesystem 10Tb
8 >> 1007.5 KiB free space
11 >> I'm not sure why there seems to be two alignment spots. Is that
12 >> normal? Already, there is almost 1TB lost somewhere.
13 > 10 TB = 9.09495 TiB. You aren't missing much of anything.
14 >
15 > And no, I don't want to get into a religious war over base 2 vs base
16 > 10, and why it would be confusing if a tape that could store 10MB/m
17 > didn't store 10kB/mm but instead stored 10.24 kB/mm.
21 Well, I realize it would be less than advertised but I just want to
22 maximize it as much as I can.  I found the -m option for the file system
23 a good while back and it saves a lot on these larger drives.  Since this
24 is a external drive, no point in reserving any root space, since root
25 will likely never access it after the file system is put on it.
26
27 Nice to know it is a conversion thing going on tho.  ;-)
28
29 Dale
30