From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:28:04
1 On 07/28/2010 07:04 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On 28 July 2010 14:53, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 07/28/2010 06:42 AM, Mick wrote:
4 >>> On 28 July 2010 09:50, KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
7 >>>> change anything.
8 >>>> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
9 >>>> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
10 >>>> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
11 >>>> /dev/sd*
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Any ideas?
14 >>>
15 >>> KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
16 >>> SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
17 >>> to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.
18 >>
19 >> But he doesn't even have those devices, so this will not do him any good
20 >> until we know how the kernel is configured (or not) and get the devices
21 >> back.
22 >
23 > I am not sure that he does not have those devices ... I don't know if
24 > the error message is returned from grub or from the OS.
25 >
26 > It could be that the kernel stanza is wrongly pointing to /dev/hda,
27 > and, or fstab is not correct.
28
29 He says the "pc boots fine now" and he "can use it" and he goes on to
30 say that he has "no /dev/hd*" or "/dev/sd*" devices, so I have to
31 believe he's got a running system. Not having any /dev/hd* files would
32 support the error trying to mount /boot. Trying to fix /etc/fstab first
33 is not the way to attack his problem given the information we have now.