From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:05:05
1 On 28 July 2010 14:53, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 07/28/2010 06:42 AM, Mick wrote:
3 >> On 28 July 2010 09:50, KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
6 >>> change anything.
7 >>> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
8 >>> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
9 >>> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
10 >>> /dev/sd*
11 >>>
12 >>> Any ideas?
13 >>
14 >> KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
15 >> SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
16 >> to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.
17 >
18 > But he doesn't even have those devices, so this will not do him any good
19 > until we know how the kernel is configured (or not) and get the devices
20 > back.
21
22 I am not sure that he does not have those devices ... I don't know if
23 the error message is returned from grub or from the OS.
24
25 It could be that the kernel stanza is wrongly pointing to /dev/hda,
26 and, or fstab is not correct.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick