From: Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev-197 : 4 show-stoppers
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:29:34
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> My daily update pulled in udev-197-r3. The installation went smoothly
4 >> but I decided I ought to reboot to check that I could. I couldn't.
5 >> Udev couldn't start because my kernel config didn't have
6 >> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y. So I booted my rescue system on the same disk,
7 >> chrooted in and built a new kernel with that option. On rebooting
8 >> everything was fine.
9 >
10 > This got me too. Now there's a discussion in -dev about making config
11 > warnings fatal.
12
13 Good idea, but as I updated udev yesterday on one of my Gentoo systems,
14 in the usual after-update messages there was a line in red, telling me
15 "You don't have CONFIG_DEVTMPFS enabled. udev will not start." So it's
16 not really a surprise, is it? Hence, I built a new kernel *before*
17 rebooting :-)
18
19 -Matt