From: Jimmy Rosen <listjiro@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to config-protect /sbin/rc and /sbin/functions.sh ?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:42:19
1 Hi,
2
3 Well, it's not that I don't want them modified by new baselayout. It's
4 just that I would like to have the convenience of using etc-update to
5 remind me that I need to update them manually.
6 I have some modifications in those files that allow me to boot a
7 diskless cluster from a single regular gentoo installation.
8 Right now I always watch very carefully when I have to bring in a new
9 baselayout since I have to keep those two scripts working. But I have
10 been known to forget.
11 I also have modifications in a few of the critical /etc/init.d scripts
12 as well, but they are caught by the CONFIG_PROTECT and I'm
13 immediately reminded to update and manually merge my functionality
14 changes when a new version is in.
15
16 So this is essentially just for me to get autoreminders when they need
17 attention. My teflon memory is dangerous enough, and I need all the
18 help I can get from automated tools and reminders.
19
20 Thanks
21 Jimmy