From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] quick installs on older/embedded hardware
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 00:35:03
1 On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 07:16:33PM +0000, James wrote
2
3 > Anyway, I'd like to hear all of the ideas, including various
4 > disciplined (structured) approaches I can take to minimize uniqueness
5 > in my lab and what I'm currently doing (mostly). I also have usb
6 > sticks, but I've found booting various offernings on usb, particularly
7 > older hardware, to be too biosed_burdened.
8 >
9 > Bear in mind, I also have dozens of embedded boards, some x86, but
10 > mostly arm based, that are also in the mix. As soon as some less expensive
11 > arm64 (aarch64) boards become available, those too will become much more
12 > prevalent in my lab. I need some new organizational (software and Image)
13 > ideas. My hardware is very well organied on large, open racks with
14 > lots of UPS power and easy physical access to each box/board.
15
16 You may be interested in buildroot http://buildroot.net/ and
17 http://buildroot.net/about.html It's nominally aimed at cross-compiling
18 for embedded systems, but it looks like it handles just about
19 everything. I'm not a developer, so I don't know if this is what you're
20 looking for, but it sounds interesting.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications