From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: quick installs on older/embedded hardware
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 15:43:38
1 Walter Dnes <waltdnes <at> waltdnes.org> writes:
4 > You may be interested in buildroot http://buildroot.net/ and
5 > http://buildroot.net/about.html It's nominally aimed at cross-compiling
6 > for embedded systems, but it looks like it handles just about
7 > everything. I'm not a developer, so I don't know if this is what you're
8 > looking for, but it sounds interesting.
11 Buildroot is great for embedded system and cross compiling. It more
12 for after you get a basic system up, imho. What I need is a basic,
13 minimal image that I can dd over to a hard drive, and build out whatever
14 "gentoo" I need. In fact I may need several images:
15
16 (1) basic image to build up a amd64 workstation or server
17 (2) a basic image to build up a 586 (or greater) system from
18 (3) a basic image to build up x86 embedded systems from
19 (4) a basic image to build up 32 bit arm systems from
20 (5) a basic image to build up 64 bit arm images
23 The idea would be to dd these images to a blank HD and install the basic
24 gentoo system, then customize from there.
25
26 This would avoid hours and hours of custom (handbook) derived installation
27 hours for new system that are only slightly different and are all gentoo
28 systems, as the base system would have the file system inside the image,
29 the make.conf with minimal necessary files, profile etc etc. Just the
30 minimal necessary to get the kernel+system up. The basic system would
31 change (be updated with new kernel) from time to time, but only every
32 few months. emerge --sync would bring the systems current.
35 Them, according to what I want to build, there would be a "guide sheet"
36 that details the flags necessary and the key packages (software-ebuild)
37 config file edits etc to realize the final test box(gentoo) system.
38
39 I'm thinking out loud here on the list for folks to "chime in" and
40 refine the idea. Starting with (1) and (2) only above would get me started.
41 I'm quite certain this is going to be a work in progress.
42
43 maybe a custom cd/dvd via catalyst for each of the (5) categories ?
44 I do want as much as possible (practical and reasonable to support)
45 from the handbook into the boot image. I think most of what is therein
46 before entering "chroot" is a reasonable first draft idea?
47
48 And yes this would mean all the decisions like file system type, partitions,
49 fstab, mtab etc would be made ahead of time, generically
50 for one size works reasonable well with all setups. It has been pointed
51 out to me that "lilo" works best for the booting as there are no issues
52 wtih embedded builds or the various "C" libraries one can use:
53 glibc, uClibc, BSDs, bionic, musl.
54
55 I'll probable start with stable and one I have (1) and (2) working
56 move to a hardened version (at least the kernel and tool chain)....
57
58 It may not end up as clean as I like, but surely there is a way to
59 streamline various categories of systems, as a referenced starting point?
60 ??????
63 James