From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:47:40
1 On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 04:45:34PM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote
2 > On 2017-08-30 18:28, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >
4 > > >> Also: how long is the replacement going to last? Anything with
5 > > >> flash as the main storage will be back at the recycling station
6 > > >> (ideally) within a couple of years. This includes all the
7 > > >> consumer routers I've ever had, including the beloved blue Linksys.
8 >
9 > > Flash storage lasts far longer than that in practice. How often do you
10 > > upgrade a router?
11 >
12 > The "couple" was meant literally, i.e. typically 2 years until it
13 > breaks. I don't know for sure if it is the flash or something else.
14 > It's not a bad brand - I have had many different brands, nothing lasts
15 > much more than that. And I don't abuse them - in fact I pamper them :-)
16
17 I've been using my SpeedTouch 546 ADSL router/modem ever since I
18 switched to my current ISP at the end of November 2007. It's 3 months
19 to the 10th anniversary. How is your local power system? I keep all my
20 gear (computer/monitor/modem) behind a UPS for a couple of reasons...
21 1) To protect my gear against power surges/spikes/drops
22 2) To protect against the rare occurence when power goes off for 1 or 2
23 seconds
24
25 I'm currently on 7 megabits down / 1 megabit up. I live alone, and
26 7/1 easily handles 1080p video (e.g. Youtube). The router/modem can
27 handle 10/1 and 15/1, which my ISP also offers. To get 15/10, I need a
28 newer modem. I have a SmartRG 505N waiting for when the ST546 dies...
29 or I decide I need more upload speed.
32 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
33 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications