From: jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Maybe OT]: Instability of system
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 04:37:54
1 On Fri, 25 May 2018 05:29:28 +0000
2 john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 24 May 2018 18:31:35 -0400
5 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 7:21 PM john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 > > > On Sun, 20 May 2018 23:20:36 +0100
9 > > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
10 > >
11 > > > > On Sunday, 20 May 2018 21:54:32 BST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > My system is an AMD Ryzen processor on an Asus Prime X370-Pro
14 > > > > > mainboard, and is just over a year old.
15 > > > > >
16 > > > Interesting post.
17 > > > Just read this and have same issue.
18 > > > AMD Ryzen
19 > > > X370 Asus motherboard
22 > > You guys don't have an early CPU with the segfault bug, do you? I
23 > > don't know if they ever fully characterized the circumstances that
24 > > can cause it, but if it can make a compiler segfault, I don't see
25 > > why it couldn't make a kernel panic. At least not without knowing
26 > > more about what actually triggers the bug...
29 > Could be. I bought CPU only a month or so after release.
30 > Initially thought it was an enlightenment desktop issue but have
31 > reproduced on KDE and xfce. It happens usually when doing something
32 > quite simple like clicking on a Window to minimise or just in a
33 > terminal. Nothing stressful like an emerge gcc.
34 >
35 > Never found anything in logs but not sure if there is a better way to
36 > capture problem.
37 >
38 > Its a Ryzen 1700X
39 >
40 > John
43 And lo and behold just after writing email I closed claws mail and
44 went to open again and machine locked up. Unresponsive to anything and
45 it even corrupted some files as had to recreate claws-mail set up.
46
47 Slight annoying. It would nice to know if I can capture issue somehow.
48
49 Perhaps there is a way.
50
51 John (keeping backups up to date)