From: Rafael Barrera Oro <borafael@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sound problem
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:15:29
1 Hello everyone! I have Via on-board sound and i cant get the audio to work.
2
3 At first the problem was that /dev/dsp did not exist, so i loaded a
4 couple of modules into the kernel (mostly following www.gentoo.org
5 alsa-guide) after that, the error message became "could not open
6 /dev/dsp permission denied" so i tryied chmod a+rw /dev/sound/dsp
7 (also from gentoo docs) nevertheless, i stillo have no sound. For
8 example when using XMMS if choose to use the Alsa driver, an error
9 pops up telling me "failed to open audio output: Alsa plugin", so i
10 choose Arts which doesnt trigger any errors but there is stillo no
11 sound!!
12
13 i ran "lspci |grep audio" and this is what returned
14
15 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
16 VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
17
18 i had all the necessary kernel options (according to the gentoo doc)
19 built-in in the kernel, including AC97 so i am out of ideas.
20
21 If anyone has any clue of what i should do, it would be greatly apprecieated.
22
23 Thanks in advance
24
25 Rafael