From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: for list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Sound card is only usable by one application at a time
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 13:25:49
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > You *might* want to look into OSS4 if your card is supported by it :P
3 > It will require a rebuild of many packages though ("oss -alsa" in
4 > make.conf) and it requires using non-portage packages from an overlay
5 > and rebuilding your kernel with sound support completely disabled.
6 >
7 > For what it's worth, that's what I use for a quite some time now.
8
9 Do you see any advantage(s) to using OSS4 over alsa?
10
11 e.g.
12
13 1. less distortion and/or better quality?
14 2. more control over the sound (e.g. equalizers)?
15 3. others?
16
17 What about downsides?
18
19 (I am presently using alsa, and intermittently have blocked sounds -
20 guess it is due to how the app was written.)
21
22 TIA