From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Sound card is only usable by one application at a time
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:08:08
1 On 12/07/2009 03:24 PM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> You *might* want to look into OSS4 if your card is supported by it :P
4 >> It will require a rebuild of many packages though ("oss -alsa" in
5 >> make.conf) and it requires using non-portage packages from an overlay
6 >> and rebuilding your kernel with sound support completely disabled.
7 >>
8 >> For what it's worth, that's what I use for a quite some time now.
9 >
10 > Do you see any advantage(s) to using OSS4 over alsa?
11 >
12 > e.g.
13 >
14 > 1. less distortion and/or better quality?
15
16 My equipment is not good enough for me to notice OSS4's better mixing
17 quality (I have 50$ speakers :P).
18
19 > 2. more control over the sound (e.g. equalizers)?
20
21 It does not have equalizers. It does however provide per-application
22 volume levels. That is, the mixer application allows me to lower the
23 volume of "Amarok" for example while leaving all other apps alone.
24 Every mixed application by vmix (OSS4's "dmix") gets its own volume control.
27 > 3. others?
28
29 The most important for me is that it always does mixing and is fully
30 compatible with OSS (duh!).
31
32 The second most important is audio latency. ALSA on my system is too
33 slow (I can notice a delay between firing a shot and hearing the *bang*
34 in Doom 3 for example, or hitting a key and hearing a note in LMMS.)
35
36 A third is that OSS4 can be used together with ALSA's userspace lib, so
37 ALSA-only apps can be compatible with OSS4. But not all ALSA apps work
38 with this setup (one I found that doesn't is Firefox, see below).
41 > What about downsides?
42
43 A downside for me is that the HTML5 video/audio support in Firefox needs
44 ALSA; trying to watch an HTML5 Ogg Theora video with alsa-lib using OSS4
45 results in a 5FPS video playback even though there's no CPU utilization.
46
47 (Note that Flash videos have no issues.)
48
49 Another downside is that mixer applications (for example those of Gnome
50 and KDE) do not support even a single feature of OSS4, so those mixers
51 tend to show a pretty spartan amount of controls.
52
53 Yet another downside is that installing it can be a pain, especially if
54 you have "-oss" in your make.conf; a big package rebuild is in order then.
57 > (I am presently using alsa, and intermittently have blocked sounds -
58 > guess it is due to how the app was written.)
59
60 This was the reason I used OSS4 a while back when it got open sourced.
61 I was lucky my card (SB Live 24-bit) was supported by it; OSS4's
62 hardware support list is shorter than ALSA's.