From: Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] freezing a package
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:38:29
1 On 12/19/2009 10:27 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Michael P. Soulier wrote:
3 >> If I want to freeze my nvidia-drivers because any upgrade will
4 >> abandon my
5 >> hardware, masking out newer versions doesn't seem to be enough as it
6 >> will also
7 >> offer to downgrade once that version is no longer in the portage tree.
8 >>
9 >> Is it simpler to just remove nvidia-drivers from the world file?
10 >>
11 >> Thanks,
12 >> Mike
13 >
14 > I added this to the package.mask file:
15 >
16 > >x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.20
17 >
18 > That froze mine at that version. Of course, keep in mind if say
19 > 173.14.22 comes out, it won't upgrade then either. If you upgrade
20 > your kernel later on and it requires a newer nvidia driver, you will
21 > have to edit that line.
22 >
23 > I'm sure some other guru will have a better way tho. ;-)
24 My package mask file reads
25 >=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-97.00
26 Because I have a GEForce 3 from goodness knows when and need 96.x. When
27 something had ABI updates and the video driver was part of them, the
28 driver was updated to the new version becuase portage got the latest
29 96.x drivers, which were not masked.
30
31 For you, I would recommend
32 >=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-174.00
33 Because that will get 173.14.22 if it comes out.
34
35 Marcus