From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Securely deletion of an HDD
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 19:21:55
1 On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Am Sun, 12 Jul 2015 08:48:48 -0400
4 > schrieb Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
5 >
6 >> If it weren't painful to set up and complicated for rescue attempts,
7 >> I'd just use full-disk encryption with a strong key on a flash drive
8 >> or similar. Then the disk is as good as wiped if separated from the
9 >> key already.
10 >
11 > Plus you don't have to worry about reallocated sectors (which might only
12 > contain single bit errors). Currently I'm planning on waiting for btrfs to
13 > support it. Chris Mason recently mentioned that it's definitely something they
14 > want to look at (https://youtu.be/W3QRWUfBua8?t=631), and it's not something
15 > that is so important to me personally that I have to have it right this instant.
18 While some kind of native support would be nice, and likely more
19 efficient in some ways, you could just layer btrfs on top of an
20 encrypted loopback device. The problem is you'll need various scripts
21 in your initramfs (or root partition if you don't bother to encrypt
22 it) to actually set that up. In the event of a recovery situation
23 you'll need to do all that setting up before you can run something
24 like fsck on the disks and so on. In the event of a power loss I'd
25 have to think through the failure modes, but I think you'd be fine as
26 long as everything respected barriers, and btrfs/zfs already do
27 checksuming.
28
29 The typical approach is to use many rounds of encryption using a
30 keyed-in password. That is a pretty good approach but obviously not
31 nearly as secure as just using a completely random key with the full
32 amount of entropy. A hand-keyed password with more entropy than the
33 cipher uses would also be fine, but that would be a very long password
34 (we're not just talking battery horse staple here). I guess you could
35 just use a USB drive as your boot partition with the keys on it and
36 keep a few copies of it, and with a decent grub setup on it that would
37 also work for rescue purposes.
40 Rich