From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Securely deletion of an HDD
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 19:42:26
1 On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:21:41 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > While some kind of native support would be nice, and likely more
4 > efficient in some ways, you could just layer btrfs on top of an
5 > encrypted loopback device.
6
7 The problem with that approach, if you use RAID, is that all writes must
8 be encrypted multiple times, once for each disk, unless you use MD RAID
9 between the disk and the encryption layer.
10
11 > The problem is you'll need various scripts
12 > in your initramfs (or root partition if you don't bother to encrypt
13 > it) to actually set that up.
14
15 With a single device, Dracut handles all this automatically. I have such
16 a setup on my laptop and used to use custom scripts to call cryptsetup at
17 boot time, until I got fed up with you and Canek banging on about Dracut
18 and decided to give it another go. With the right boot options, it just
19 works.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.