From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python 2.x vs 3.x
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:49:59
1 On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> [12-02-19 03:13]:
3 >> In a current thread started by Meino where he is having trouble
4 >> emerging hydrogen he reported the following quoted data to Neil. I
5 >> don't believe Neil has responded yet but Meino's data brought me back
6 >> to a question I've meant to ask for a while so I'll take this
7 >> opportunity.
8 >>
9 >> From Meino:
10 >>
11 >> <QUOTE>
12 >> With
13 >>
14 >>    eselect python list
15 >>
16 >> I get
17 >>
18 >> Available Python interpreters:
19 >>  [1]   python2.6
20 >>  [2]   python2.7
21 >>  [3]   python3.1
22 >>  [4]   python3.2 *
23 >> </QUOTE>
24 >>
25 >> which shows python3.2 as the system wide default.
26 >>
27 >>    It's been my understanding ever since we first emerged any
28 >> python-3.x version that we were not supposed to set any version of
29 >> python3 as the system wide default. On all of my systems I have
30 >> something like this:
31 >>
32 >> c2stable ~ # eselect python list
33 >> Available Python interpreters:
34 >>   [1]   python2.7 *
35 >>   [2]   python3.2
36 >> c2stable ~ # eselect python list --python2
37 >> Available Python 2 interpreters:
38 >>   [1]   python2.7 *
39 >> c2stable ~ # eselect python list --python3
40 >> Available Python 3 interpreters:
41 >>   [1]   python3.2 *
42 >> c2stable ~ #
43 >>
44 >>    Now, like Paul Hartman I didn't have any trouble building and
45 >> running Hydrogen as a Jack client. It works just fine for me. However
46 >> no one else seemed to have picked up on Meino's configuration which
47 >> makes me wonder if I missed the memo to make the 3.x version of the
48 >> system wide default.
49 >>
50 >>    What is the current best practice in this area?
51 >>
52 >> Cheers,
53 >> Mark
56 > Hi Mark,
57 >
58 > after a lot of revdep-rebuilds and unresolved (or over-resolved)
59 > references hydrogen builds fine. TADA! ;)
60 > That is very nice ! :))
61 >
62 > Thank you very much for all your help.
63 >
64 > Unfortunately the svn-build of blender builds, but
65 > the executable only prints:
66 >
67 >    Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
68 >    LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding
69 >    [1]    20570 abort      blender -noaudio
70 >
71 > Does anyone has built a daily snapshot of the svn blender successfully
72 > against the systemwide python 3.2. ?
73 >
74 > How can I get blender to work?
75 >
76 > Cheers
77 > mcc
78
79 Meino,
80 First, congrats on getting Hydrogen going. May your life be full of
81 head banging drum riff all day & night long.
82
83 Now, can you verify that the system wide python setting was in fact
84 what made it build on your system? I know you were doing lots and lots
85 of things. Was switching this back to 2.7 the thing that allowed
86 Hydrogen to build for you?
87
88 As for Blender I really don't know what to do as I've never run it.
89 Are you building Blender from an overlay or standard portage? If it's
90 standard portage, and if the ebuild maintainer hasn't specifically
91 said that you have to use 3.x then should a bug report be filed?
92
93 That may make no sense on other information you posted. I really
94 haven't paid any attention to that part. Sorry.
95
96 Glad Hydrogen is working for you.
97
98 Cheers,