From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python 2.x vs 3.x
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:25:36
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> [12-02-19 03:13]:
2 > In a current thread started by Meino where he is having trouble
3 > emerging hydrogen he reported the following quoted data to Neil. I
4 > don't believe Neil has responded yet but Meino's data brought me back
5 > to a question I've meant to ask for a while so I'll take this
6 > opportunity.
7 >
8 > From Meino:
9 >
10 > <QUOTE>
11 > With
12 >
13 > eselect python list
14 >
15 > I get
16 >
17 > Available Python interpreters:
18 > [1] python2.6
19 > [2] python2.7
20 > [3] python3.1
21 > [4] python3.2 *
22 > </QUOTE>
23 >
24 > which shows python3.2 as the system wide default.
25 >
26 > It's been my understanding ever since we first emerged any
27 > python-3.x version that we were not supposed to set any version of
28 > python3 as the system wide default. On all of my systems I have
29 > something like this:
30 >
31 > c2stable ~ # eselect python list
32 > Available Python interpreters:
33 > [1] python2.7 *
34 > [2] python3.2
35 > c2stable ~ # eselect python list --python2
36 > Available Python 2 interpreters:
37 > [1] python2.7 *
38 > c2stable ~ # eselect python list --python3
39 > Available Python 3 interpreters:
40 > [1] python3.2 *
41 > c2stable ~ #
42 >
43 > Now, like Paul Hartman I didn't have any trouble building and
44 > running Hydrogen as a Jack client. It works just fine for me. However
45 > no one else seemed to have picked up on Meino's configuration which
46 > makes me wonder if I missed the memo to make the 3.x version of the
47 > system wide default.
48 >
49 > What is the current best practice in this area?
50 >
51 > Cheers,
52 > Mark
55 Hi Mark,
56
57 after a lot of revdep-rebuilds and unresolved (or over-resolved)
58 references hydrogen builds fine. TADA! ;)
59 That is very nice ! :))
60
61 Thank you very much for all your help.
62
63 Unfortunately the svn-build of blender builds, but
64 the executable only prints:
65
66 Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
67 LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding
68 [1] 20570 abort blender -noaudio
69
70 Does anyone has built a daily snapshot of the svn blender successfully
71 against the systemwide python 3.2. ?
72
73 How can I get blender to work?
74