From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] python 2.x vs 3.x
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 00:20:16
1 In a current thread started by Meino where he is having trouble
2 emerging hydrogen he reported the following quoted data to Neil. I
3 don't believe Neil has responded yet but Meino's data brought me back
4 to a question I've meant to ask for a while so I'll take this
5 opportunity.
6
7 From Meino:
8
9 <QUOTE>
10 With
11
12 eselect python list
13
14 I get
15
16 Available Python interpreters:
17 [1] python2.6
18 [2] python2.7
19 [3] python3.1
20 [4] python3.2 *
21 </QUOTE>
22
23 which shows python3.2 as the system wide default.
24
25 It's been my understanding ever since we first emerged any
26 python-3.x version that we were not supposed to set any version of
27 python3 as the system wide default. On all of my systems I have
28 something like this:
29
30 c2stable ~ # eselect python list
31 Available Python interpreters:
32 [1] python2.7 *
33 [2] python3.2
34 c2stable ~ # eselect python list --python2
35 Available Python 2 interpreters:
36 [1] python2.7 *
37 c2stable ~ # eselect python list --python3
38 Available Python 3 interpreters:
39 [1] python3.2 *
40 c2stable ~ #
41
42 Now, like Paul Hartman I didn't have any trouble building and
43 running Hydrogen as a Jack client. It works just fine for me. However
44 no one else seemed to have picked up on Meino's configuration which
45 makes me wonder if I missed the memo to make the 3.x version of the
46 system wide default.
47
48 What is the current best practice in this area?
49
50 Cheers,
51 Mark