From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] desktop & sever profiles; was: Re: jpg support
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:13:22
1 On 8 Nov 2008, at 15:55, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon schrieb am 08.11.2008 16:00:
3 >> ...
4 >> I'll bet your profile points to a server profile, not a desktop
5 >> one. For the
6 >> server profile, the default is no X server and thus no jpeg. A
7 >> quick search
8 >> shows me that all the desktop profiles enable jpeg by default - the
9 >> expected
10 >> state for most users. You profile is dictated by what the /etc/
11 >> make.profile
12 >> symlink points to.
13 >> ...
14 >
15 > ... if you use Gentoo on a desktop enable the
16 > desktop profile. ...
17
18 I wouldn't be inclined to assume a new user might be using a server
19 profile because last time I checked these spit out an ugly warning
20 message about "this profile being untested" for EVERY SINGLE package
21 emerged.
22
23 Eventually - after enabling PORTAGE_ELOG_* and being inundated with
24 warning spam for packages which had compiled without problems - I was
25 unable to tolerate this behaviour any longer & switched to a desktop
26 profile instead.
27
28 So has something changed since I experienced this, or have many other
29 people just been ignoring the nuisance of the warning messages?
30
31 I guess I chose a server profile in the first place because it seemed
32 more "correct" for me to do so (seeing as all my machines are
33 servers), but since I'm quite happy to put USE="-X -gtk -qt &c" in my
34 make.conf I can't see that it makes much difference.
35
36 Stroller.