From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] desktop & sever profiles; was: Re: jpg support
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:35:17
1 Stroller schrieb am 08.11.2008 18:13:
2 >
3 > I wouldn't be inclined to assume a new user might be using a server
4 > profile because last time I checked these spit out an ugly warning
5 > message about "this profile being untested" for EVERY SINGLE package
6 > emerged.
7 >
8 > Eventually - after enabling PORTAGE_ELOG_* and being inundated with
9 > warning spam for packages which had compiled without problems - I was
10 > unable to tolerate this behaviour any longer & switched to a desktop
11 > profile instead.
12 >
13 > So has something changed since I experienced this, or have many other
14 > people just been ignoring the nuisance of the warning messages?
15 >
16 > I guess I chose a server profile in the first place because it seemed
17 > more "correct" for me to do so (seeing as all my machines are servers),
18 > but since I'm quite happy to put USE="-X -gtk -qt &c" in my make.conf I
19 > can't see that it makes much difference.
20
21 I don't know if the server profile is untested. I for myself neither use
22 a server nor a desktop profile. Here is my profile symlink.
23
24 /etc/make.profile ->
25 /media/system/repositories/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0
26
27 As you can see you don't need to choose either desktop or server at all,
28 as this works fine here and I don't get annoying messages.
29
30 For more information take a look at [1] Chapter 6b Choosing the Right
31 Profile
32
33 [1]
34 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?style=printable&full=1#book_part1_chap6