From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About the time sync with Windows and Gentoo
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 07:45:56
1 On Tuesday, July 08, 2014 03:27:45 AM Michael Cook wrote:
2 > On 07/08/2014 03:04 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, July 08, 2014 02:45:41 PM taozhijiang wrote:
4 > >> Hi, all
5 > >> I have installed dual OSes on my laptop: Microsoft Windows 7 and Gentoo.
6 > >> But I can not sync the time with the different OSes.
7 > >> By default, Windows & shows the right time, but Gentoo failed, how to
8 > >> setup
9 > >> the system to fix the problem described above.
10 > >>
11 > >> I am in the Zone UTC+8, China/Beijing.
12 > >
13 > > Please check the hwclock configuration:
14 > > **********
15 > > # cat /etc/conf.d/hwclock
16 > > # Set CLOCK to "UTC" if your Hardware Clock is set to UTC (also known as
17 > > # Greenwich Mean Time). If that clock is set to the local time, then
18 > > # set CLOCK to "local". Note that if you dual boot with Windows, then
19 > > # you should set it to "local".
20 > > clock="UTC"
21 > > **********
22 > >
23 > > In other words:
24 > > Set the BIOS clock to the local time.
25 > > Set the following in the /etc/conf.d/hwclock file:
26 > > clock="local"
27 > >
28 > > Also, ensure that MS Windows does the clock-changes between summer and
29 > > winter time (if that exists where you live).
30 > >
31 > > --
32 > > Joost
33 >
34 > It's actually recommended for dual booting with Windows Vista+ to set
35 > Windows to UTC rather than setting Linux to local (Windows XP and
36 > earlier apparently don't play nicely/can't be set to UTC)
37 >
38 > This should tell you how:
39 > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/time#UTC_in_Windows
40
41 Thank you for this.
42 I don't often boot into MS Windows and deal with the change in clock when I
43 get back into Linux afterwards.
44 This should solve that :)
47 Joost