From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] rpm or deb package installs
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:12:52
1 Hello,
2
3 So it's been some time for me, but there use to be easy ways
4 to install .deb or rpm packages on gentoo; maybe in /usr/local/portage. [1]
5
6 I only find this guide on wiki.gentoo.org : [2].
9 So what I really want is a modern (safe) methodical way to quickly install
10 .deb or rpm packages (many should work) into /usr/local/portage
11 for quick testing and evaluation before I hack together an
12 ebuild for it. So are there any newer (vetted) methods to
13 do this? Anyone who does this quit a lot would surely have some
14 methods if not custom scripts addressing many little pitfalls?
15 Are rpm's better to install than .deb packages in general? What about
16 cleanup and removal: semantics, syntax, or scripts?
17
18 I do see these in portage: app-arch/dpkg and app-arch/rpm.
21 Any caveats or tricks anyone cares to share?
24 James
28 [1] http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_install_programs_without_portage
29
30 [2] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/RPM