From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rpm or deb package installs
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 18:26:14
1 On 13/02/2015 16:12, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > So it's been some time for me, but there use to be easy ways
5 > to install .deb or rpm packages on gentoo; maybe in /usr/local/portage. [1]
6 >
7 > I only find this guide on wiki.gentoo.org : [2].
10 > So what I really want is a modern (safe) methodical way to quickly install
11 > .deb or rpm packages (many should work) into /usr/local/portage
12 > for quick testing and evaluation before I hack together an
13 > ebuild for it. So are there any newer (vetted) methods to
14 > do this? Anyone who does this quit a lot would surely have some
15 > methods if not custom scripts addressing many little pitfalls?
16 > Are rpm's better to install than .deb packages in general? What about
17 > cleanup and removal: semantics, syntax, or scripts?
18 >
19 > I do see these in portage: app-arch/dpkg and app-arch/rpm.
22 > Any caveats or tricks anyone cares to share?
26 I doubt dpkg and rpm aren't going to be much use to you, unless you
27 really want to run two package managers. Besides, both are not
28 especially useful with the front ends apt* and yum.
29
30 Any special reason why you don't instead download the sources and build
31 them yourself with PREFIX=/usr/local ?
37 Alan McKinnon
38 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com