From: Jil Larner <jil@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:52:43
1 James a écrit :
2 > Jil Larner <jil <at> gnoo.eu> writes:
5 >> May I suggest you split the discussion if you continue about licensing,
6 >> so we can keep a clear topic on Daniel's come back ?
7 >
8 > I only use licensing as an example (that I'm willing to defend
9 > as long as it takes) to support the notion of vehicles to
10 > generate revenue around the 'gentoo engine'.
11
12 I understood your first message, I am for BSD licenses everywhere (but I
13 haven't all arguments you gave, just faith). But it turned to a flame
14 war on BSD vs GPL v2 (v3 is no match) and, as you say, deeply focusing
15 on a example.
18 > After all, if
19 > you look at Daniel's recent past, he's been searching for ways
20 > to use Gentoo, to *make money*. Several folks have pointed out
21 > that the majority of people believe that using (gentoo) linux to
22 > make money is a good idea. Daniel has been with lots of ventures
23 > in the recent past. Gentoo is his next 'bidness'.
24 >
25 > (ok that's settled?)
26 Settled.
29 > [...] Go read the 14 pages on the forum and you
30 > get a pretty clear picture, that he is not this *benevolent benefactor*
31 > that the masses believe he is. If he was, he would return, humble
32 > get on 'the team' and let folks who have experience and connections
33 > run the financial affairs of Gentoo, to the benefit of the all devs
34 > and the user alike.
35
36 Well, I attempted to read the forum, but I quickly left the page. The
37 current Gentoo case is very interesting for the student that I am, but I
38 don't want to take too much time to read the whole topic, I am already
39 overwhelmed, alas. Messages on the list gave me the image of what he
40 wants and a part of what he did. That's why I think this list is great :o
43 > Why else would Daniel let the foundation sink? I sure anyone in the know
44 > could have sent in the few hundred bucks to keetp gentoo legally established.
45 > This crisis has been "orchestrated" to force a decision, plain and simple.
46
47 Yeah, that's obvious since the beginning. When I asked what the crisis
48 was, the problem and non problem of legal papers, I saw it. Now, I may
49 say that Gentoo is at a mature point, is a valuable distro, and choices
50 must be made for its future. Somewhere, politics that I never heard
51 about "let the ball run away" (quote from a previous mail, I think) and
52 lead to the current crisis that allows (or not) the come back of Daniel.
53 Then, the question looks like "will people allow Gentoo to become
54 commercial under the leadership of Daniel without measure of control ?"
55
56 I'm not sure it's a good sum up. If you don't think, help me to be right.
57
58 I don't say commercial is evil. I agree that having a business around
59 gentoo may have it stronger. But I believe he aims to access power the
60 same way as Palpatine in Star Wars, and the story could be the same,
61 then it would be hard to find a Jedi to rescue ! :D
62 Discussions hold in the darkness and open the way for speculation. I
63 understand the need to discuss without the noise of the community. But
64 communication in an Open Source project, to say what is really in game,
65 seems to me fundamental. Are they talking about licensing, trying to
66 arrange some counter power to reach an agreement, do they already
67 accepted and try to figure out how to convince involved people (I mean
68 not basic users like me) ? I don't know. Only one thing is certain : we
69 are facing trouble times and what we watch coming seems very, very
70 dangerous. Power allows fast acting, but doesn't necessarily make the
71 act wise.
74 > come on, use your brain here......
75 I attempt, but the choice is not ours.
76
77 > God, I sure hope I'm wrong..............
78 So do I.
79
80 Jil.
81 --