From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:49:07
1 Jil Larner <jil <at> gnoo.eu> writes:
4 > May I suggest you split the discussion if you continue about licensing,
5 > so we can keep a clear topic on Daniel's come back ?
6
7 I only use licensing as an example (that I'm willing to defend
8 as long as it takes) to support the notion of vehicles to
9 generate revenue around the 'gentoo engine'. After all, if
10 you look at Daniel's recent past, he's been searching for ways
11 to use Gentoo, to *make money*. Several folks have pointed out
12 that the majority of people believe that using (gentoo) linux to
13 make money is a good idea. Daniel has been with lots of ventures
14 in the recent past. Gentoo is his next 'bidness'.
15
16 (ok that's settled?)
17
18 Many folks suspect that Daniel wants control of Gentoo, to make money
19 the way he envisions. He has not said why he would go to all of this
20 trouble to be the technical, spiritual and financial leader of
21 Gentoo (this makes the devs and others nervous). If fact it
22 has been suggested in some of these discussion threads (particularly
23 on the forums) that turning gentoo towards a profitable business
24 model is exactly what's on Daniel's mind. Exactly what this entails
25 is unclear.
26
27 If Gentoo is to turn "commercial" then the relevance of licensing
28 is paramount, IMHO. I only get my digs in, to get the serfs thinking
29 about their financial future, related to Gentoo and it's future licensing
30 issues. That the reason for the examples and the "FOTITUDE" to wake up the
31 serfs that the GPL is hurting them the most. The GPL does not hurt
32 large corporations. Maybe, just maybe, the GPL needs a financial test
33 before it affects a company? (Just one idea for thought). After
34 all, a company that grosses less than one million dollars, most
35 likely does not have anything (code) that anyone else cannot
36 easily generate.
37
38 Gentoo is in play, do you understand this? Ever heard of T Boone Pickens?
39 Daniel realizes that Gentoo has value. That's why he wants to
40 return and rule in an autocratic fashion. He has not asked to
41 be the technical guru (leader of the tribes) and hand the
42 financial decision making to others (something a benevolent benefactor
43 would do). He wants *CONTROL of EVERYTHING* He has insulted the
44 devs that get in his way. Go read the 14 pages on the forum and you
45 get a pretty clear picture, that he is not this *benevolent benefactor*
46 that the masses believe he is. If he was, he would return, humble
47 get on 'the team' and let folks who have experience and connections
48 run the financial affairs of Gentoo, to the benefit of the all devs
49 and the user alike.
50
51 Why else would Daniel let the foundation sink? I sure anyone in the know
52 could have sent in the few hundred bucks to keetp gentoo legally established.
53 This crisis has been "orchestrated" to force a decision, plain and simple.
54 It's going to become the fiefdom of somebody and my vote (voice) is that the
55 serfs (users) and the devs take this puppy and decide how to make
56 money with it (Plain and simple). If you give it back to daniel, he has
57 greater rights legally that if the thing just dies. If it dies lots of folks
58 can pick up the code, rename it and start a fork that can be GPL or
59 commercial, IMHO. The GPL get's in the way, IMHO. Handing it over to
60 Daniel with ~100% non publish control is a recipe for the serfs and
61 the majority of the serfs to get the privilege of remaining on
62 massa's farm, IMHO.
65 Why else do you think the real discussions are going on behind
66 closed doors?
67
68 come on, use your brain here......
69 (or at least go read the 14 pages on the forum and then come back with a
70 clue).
73 God, I sure hope I'm wrong..............
76 James
84 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list